“Maybe the journey isn’t so much about becoming anything. Maybe it’s about unbecoming everything that isn’t really you, so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.”
Expressing myself through writing has always been easier than speaking for me. I suppose it was inevitable that I should find an author inside when I looked deep enough. 2021 has been the “official” start of this journey for me although I have always loved writing. Anything. Everything. Some things I have learned so far about myself and writing are:
- I struggle with discipline. Setting a consistent place and time to write is a big adversary I face so far, that and a very persistent case of writer’s block. I fill the time when I am suffering writer’s block with reading.
- Writing poems can be very therapeutic and a good filler when I can’t focus on my novel.
- My children are the biggest obstacle to writing. It is easier to write when they aren’t around. Which is virtually never.
- I get extremely irritable when I am interrupted while reading and writing.
- Thinking about writing keeps me up at night.
My hope is to write about this journey of embracing and growing the author within, so if you feel up to it, feel free to tag along.